Wednesday, April 14, 2010

14 April 1970



Tuesday
14 April 1970

I got back to Baldy yesterday, and I hope to be here for awhile.

I stayed with the 3rd platoon for 3 nights, and even went out on a  patrol one day - but I still wasn’t in any direct enemy contact.

The past two nights have been very cold.  I guess it must be some kind of cold front, because the wind blows very hard and cold.

I received a package of candy, but that’s the only mail I’ve had in the past 5 days.  It’s possible some mail may have gone out to Charlie Co. on the re-supply yesterday.  If so, I won’t  receive it for a couple of days.  I don’t have any news in particular, because nothing has happened.

It’s really great being back at Baldy.  Had 2 good meals yesterday and my first decent night sleep in 12 days.

Only 3 more days until Pres. Nixon’s speech.  I just hope we’re not disappointed when he makes it.

This new job, ALO, will be mostly a pain-in-the-neck.  The main thing is to be the duty expert on anything that flies!  The ALO has to see that all re-supply, troop lifts, CAS, etc. are requested and run smoothly.  The Battalion CO is a real character, and he gets very upset if things go wrong.

I have a feeling that the  days are going to be much longer here, than they were out in the bush - if possible.  I have to sit in the COC all day long, and be available all night.

Photo - Command Operating Center, 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, LZ Baldy.

No comments:

Post a Comment