Tuesday, May 18, 2010

18 May 1970

Monday
18 May 1970

B company CP moved to the top of “hill 45" (45 meters high) where we have a real good observation of our whole area.  This hill has been a Vietnamese regional forces camp in the past.  I don’t know how long we’ll be here - but I like it.

I was up here about 2 days ago to control an air strike and made friends with the people up here, so they’ve invited me to eat with them each day.  Believe it or not - I like rice now - as I do all their food.  They do eat some things I can’t stomach - and their hot sauce is pretty hot - but on a whole, I like their food.

The Vietnamese eat such delicacies as fish heads, brains, intestines of chickens and animals - etc.  Needless to say - I don’t eat that! Ha.

I don’t know why I’ve come to like rice so much - but I have.

I eat real good with chop sticks now - as I use them every time I eat with the Vietnamese.  These people also drink hot tea with their meals - which I’ve also come to like.  I may stay on this hill from now on because it has such good observation and I could run air strikes for any of our companies. 

I may go back to Baldy in a few days to be the ALO for a week.  The regiment’s ALO is going on R&R and Ron will do that job while he is gone.  So I would have to go be the Bn. ALO.  I don’t know for sure about that yet.  I only have 36 days left with the grunts hooray!!!

These Vietnamese on this hill are very friendly, and apparently really like the Marines - but they are worthless as soldiers!  They don’t do a thing except sit up here on their butts and watch the Marines fight the war for them.  If we left tomorrow they wouldn’t have a chance against the VC.

Photo - one of our Marines playing his harmonica. 

No comments:

Post a Comment