Thursday, March 18, 2010

18 March 1970

Wednesday night
18 March 1970

We got word we are being pulled back to LZ Baldy - our base, and then launch out on a new operation.  So we pulled back this morning and will be going out to the bush tomorrow morning. So after three days in the bush, I got to take a shower and eat a good hot meal tonight of steak.

Right at this time I’m between briefings for the operation, so I thought I’d best get a quick note written.

Tomorrow morning I’ll become attached to C company as a FAC.  Up until now I’ve been staying with the Battalion ALO in the command post, learning how things work.  The ALO is another LT who got here only ten days before me - we were in FAC school at Okinawa together and became good friends then.  We’ll be switching as ALO and FAC, because the FAC has things rougher because of being out with the company which moves a lot, and gets into the real action.

During the 24 hours we were at out last position, one of our companies  killed four enemy and had two men wounded by booby traps. 

This operation is supposed to last from 3 - 10 days, and then we’ll resume the op we were on yesterday - that being protecting a valley from the enemy during the rice harvest.

It’s very interesting to see how the grunts work.  It’s so much like Basic School, I feel right at home.  All the same problems and planning, except now it’s for real!!!
I’m going to take my camera with me tomorrow and I hope to get some good pictures.  I could have got some good ones during the past three days.

This operation tomorrow involves grunts, artillery, helicopters, and jet bombers!  All requiring coordination and planning by the ALO - so he has a very challenging job.  As the FAC, my job is really just to assist the ALO during the planning phases, and then go with the company to call in CAS in the event we need it.  I have so much free time on my hands, it’s not even believable.  In the bush I go to bed about dusk (1900-2000) and sleep until about 0700.  So I get plenty of sleep, although it’s certainly not restful.

Last night it rained, and Ron Boehm, the ALO, and I did not have our shelter built right, and we both got soaked!  Well - the fortunes of war! I’ll probably mention Ron a lot in the future, since we are so close in this job.  He is an A-6  pilot, and has been in country the same time as me.  He is married, has one girl, and is from Louisiana.  He is only five feet six inches tall so I’m actually bigger.

The way I’ve been eating in the bush, there is no doubt I’ll lose a lot of weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment