Friday, September 18, 2009



Sunday Night
7 Dec. 1969

I didn’t get any letters today, but I did get a notice that I have a package at the post office. It’s probably the one with the lamp. I’ll pick it up tomorrow.

Things are as usual here! Dull. I flew twice today. Had a CAS this morning at 0630, then flew practice intercepts tonight with O.J. We are having a missile shoot in January, at Cubi Point, so we’re getting ready for it by flying intercepts here.

This afternoon I laid out in the sun to get a tan and got a beautiful sun burn! I was going to be careful and only stay out for an hour, but that was long enough to get good and red!

This has been a long day. I got up at 0545 this morning and it’s 2230 now.

I haven’t gained as much weight as I thought. In fact, when I weighed for my physical the other day, I weighed 175 pounds, which is what I weighed when I left.

We’ve really been flying a lot this month. I’ve flown 7 times in 7 days and we stood down one day and I didn’t fly another day. I’ve flown 31 missions now and should have close to, or more than, 40 points. I’ve lost count of my points after the first 20. I still have not received my first air medal. I saw a chart of medals showing the precedence of the medals and the air medal is 7th or 8th I think. Not very high. But then who wants a bunch of medals! To earn them you have to do dangerous things and maybe get hurt! So I’m not going to be greedy.

Photo - F-4 taxiing out for a mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment